[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
ArtificialSpirit Forum • View topic - Artist vs. Album Artist

Artist vs. Album Artist

What would you like to see next in Jaangle?

Moderator: outcast1000

Artist vs. Album Artist

Postby Power2g » 18 Oct 2009, 20:08

The ability to group on Album Artist vs Artist so collaboration tracks will not be grouped separately in artist grouping. This way single artist on same albums will always be grouped together. The current configuration separates artist with collaborations into separate groups instead of the album artist on the same cd.
Power2g

Re: Artist vs. Album Artist

Postby nillawafer » 04 Nov 2009, 20:46

I second this request. This is what is keeping me from using Jaangle as my main player at the moment.

For compilations, I have the Album Artist tag set to "Various Artists". This way, soundtracks and compilations are grouped together.
nillawafer
Spiritual

Postby outcast1000 » 06 Nov 2009, 20:48

Ok guys.. I have done some job in this field for the next version
1. Now there are two new database fields for AlbumArtist & Composer
2. The Tagger now supports it (at least for mp3 files)

Now I need to display these new fields in Track List and also update the track properties window.
Also to Add some new modes in music browser like AlbumArtist->Albums, Composer->Albums

But i have a couple of questions and i need some help

1. What should i do with the existing tracks that have no such information in the existing database?
a. Set it to [Unknown]
b. Set it to what the artist is
2. How should i handle all the tracks that do not have such information in their tags?
a. Set it to [Unknown]
b. Set it to what the artist is
3. AlbumArtist->Albums mode will have very few records that will cover only a small part of the database unless i mass set Artist = AlbumArtist (1.b & 2.b)

I am a bit confused. How is the iTunes or other media players experience in this field?
outcast1000
Site Admin

Postby nillawafer » 07 Nov 2009, 03:09

nillawafer
Spiritual

Postby GrandMelenas » 07 Nov 2009, 20:38

I second this request too, but it might be works like that.
Before I became a Jaangle addict, I used Soundbase who has this "artist/album" sorting option. Since I use Jaangle, I have discovered the advantages to see all the songs of a same artist when I use artist --> album mode, I mean not only the songs of normal albums but the songs from various artists albums too.
So my request is, is it possible, when we will sort by AlbumArtist->Albums mode, to display a song from a various artist album in 2 places: one under the artist name/album and one under "various artist"/album ? It will avoid to continually change the sorting mode.

Ex.: In Tree pane you will see:
Philip Glass
____Chillout Moods, Disc 6 (and the song "Etoile Polaire" in track list)
Various Artist
____Chillout Moods, Disc 6 (and all the songs of this album in track list)

With this solution, we will have the best of both world! :)
GrandMelenas
Guru

Postby outcast1000 » 09 Nov 2009, 21:38

outcast1000
Site Admin

Postby GrandMelenas » 18 Nov 2009, 00:39

With the new field "Artist-album", the possibility of choices in Mode will be astronomical. It might be better with a system like... more easy to explain with a picture: a system like the second picture where each of the 3 (4 is better) opened windows represent a key picked by the user.
Attachments
Jaangle_mode.jpg
Jaangle_mode.jpg (30.43 KiB) Viewed 9608 times
Jaangle_mode2.jpg
Jaangle_mode2.jpg (32.42 KiB) Viewed 9607 times
GrandMelenas
Guru

Postby MrKindel » 18 Apr 2010, 12:27

Hi.
When will we see this function in Jaangle?
Hoping it is very soon.
MrKindel

Postby mamasiga » 16 Jun 2010, 23:18

I would also add my voice to implement this tag - album artist (if not populated display artist).

Also, why not enable simple browse disk mode - to see the music exactly like it is organized on disc.
I have large collection, and not all the tracks have tags at all.
For this reason I use mediamonkey - it allows me to browse my collection as it appears on the disc - "Library - Location"

Thanks for attention,
Tomas
mamasiga

Postby sandyscott » 27 Nov 2010, 01:46

I've been looking for a new music player, and have just discovered Jaangle, and I'm really impressed with it.

However, the lack of an "Album Artist - Album" mode is a deal breaker for me - I've got lots of compilations in my collection, and I don't want to see all the individual artists with just a single track cluttering the list of performers with complete albums.

Just thought I'd add my voice to this thread

Sandy
sandyscott

Artist vs. Album Artist

Postby fredphoesh » 15 Jan 2011, 21:39

Hello all

Like the previous poster, Ive been looking for another music player, and Jaangle seems very nice indeed... all except for this one massive omission.

I saw one of the developers in 2009 talking about implementing Album Artist as an alternative view to Artist, he said it would be in the next version, so I was wondering why this EXTREMELY important feature is not yet available.

Good job on the player. Ive got a few other comments, but this one is the spoiler, I could live with the others, but this one makes a mess of my Artists, as every single Artist gets added. Those in compilations should be listed under their Album Aritst tag.

Thanks!
Mark.
fredphoesh

Postby jo.klindt » 24 Mar 2011, 10:22

Hi Outcast - have any comments to this feature? Especially, when you have a lot of classic work, you have many artist, which make the list "Artist - album" very caotic.
Thanks for your always quick answers.
jo.klindt

Postby ArthurB » 13 Mar 2013, 23:28

I just found Jaangle and am very happy with the simplicity and easy interface. Got there after Songbird appeared to become far too big and unstable as well, and even after hours and hours of searching I never found a foobar skin that (still) worked.

But I agree with all other posters in this thread that the absence of a Composer or Album Artist tag is a major problem. Especially when you have a lot of classical and serious music. It worries me that this feature has been requested on this forum since 2009, and has even once been anounced.
Is anything still coming? Just the possibility to enter information in a composer tag and create a composercolumn in the tracklist would do the trick for me.
ArthurB

Return to Feature Requests