[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
ArtificialSpirit Forum • View topic - when will come a new version of jaangle?

when will come a new version of jaangle?

Talk about Jaangle. If you liked it... Why not... What's the future, etc

Moderator: outcast1000

when will come a new version of jaangle?

Postby mayron619 » 28 Jan 2011, 07:09

i love this software :D
it's very functional,but him needs a new face.
When are you going to change the appearance of jaagle??? :?

sorry the bad english :mrgreen:
mayron619

Re: when will come a new version of jaangle?

Postby outcast1000 » 29 Jan 2011, 18:40

New version has delays since i m working on a new GUI
outcast1000
Site Admin

Postby susanin » 04 Apr 2011, 09:04

susanin
Spiritual

Postby outcast1000 » 04 Apr 2011, 09:49

minor changes in strings
outcast1000
Site Admin

Postby susanin » 04 Apr 2011, 16:40

susanin
Spiritual

Postby mvk25 » 07 Jun 2011, 20:20

mvk25
Spiritual

Postby outcast1000 » 07 Jun 2011, 23:00

That's true.
I am still in the research stage.
Wrong - slow way..
outcast1000
Site Admin

Postby mvk25 » 07 Jun 2011, 23:46

Good luck with that then :).
mvk25
Spiritual

Postby sabretou » 08 Jun 2011, 10:40

Oh well, it's going to be 1 year since the last stable release in two days. Is it bad if we have a one-year anniversary party? :D I've been tempted with so many other flashier applications the past year, but I keep coming back to Jaangle because it's so homely for me now, and does exactly what I want. I just wish it looked a bit better though...
sabretou

Postby kurzedmetal » 29 Nov 2011, 14:03

It has been almost a year since you made Jaangle's code open source and it doesn't seem to be any external contributions to the project (unless their were done by private mails), you should try to encourage contributions and "openess", like adding a visible "how to contribute" section in the homepage, adding a development section in the forums and exposing the code repository you are using to the public (you'll probably get more contributions if coders see that you are actively developing and bugfixing and users will make less "when will a new version come out" threads :P).

The only SC repository i've found was the one in Sourceforge, which you don't seem to be using since it wasn't updated for like a year, the date you created the SF project. I'm guessing you created that SF project to start sharing the code, good idea, but it may not be the best way to attract contributors.
I also found no code about the "new GUI version" that you talked about in some threads, but you may have no code yet, i don't know.

My 2 cents, hope it helps :D

BTW, great job, i loved Jaangle since the first day i used it.

Note: This forum's CAPTCHA is one of the best i've seen, it took me like 10 tries to register, even after using browser's zoom feature :P
kurzedmetal
Spiritual

Postby outcast1000 » 29 Nov 2011, 14:44

CAPTCHA: :D. Tell me if you know anything better for phpbb.

Openness: The source code of the 0.9xxx releases was about "Take it and fork it".

I am not trying to encourage anyone work with that code that will include me. :). The last months I have decided to make a brand new Jaangle (1.0?) with code from scratch without compromises.
Multi platform ready, detachable GUI, fully multithreaded, new controls (android like lists, animation with low memory/cpu footprint), new play engine (net play), new tagger interface, new database (sqlite), full social networks integration.
On the programming side (which mainly is my concern) is to use as much C++11 as possible and test some design patterns.
Currently i am making the pieces (MediaPlayer, TagEditor, DBEngine, ListControl).
I think that firstly i should connect most of them, then make a tryout release and hopefully someone will turnout to help in some parts of this programming playground as long as the interfaces get constant.
outcast1000
Site Admin

Postby kurzedmetal » 29 Nov 2011, 15:23

Ohhh, i didn't know that, awesome :D maybe you should say that somewhere in the website too, i doubt it but there may be coders trying to add features to the old version, and their efforts would be in vain.

I still think you should encourage the community to get involved in the project and the new version, show your future plans, feature roadmap, your progress, the partial code repository of this new version, and you may get some positive feedback, early bug reports (if there any alpha version running), contributors may arise and code features you planned or didn't even expect/planned. You don't need a complete working version for that.

I'm just saying this because from my point of view (as a user and possible contributor), it seems the project is dead (no new versions, low forum/community activity, few project news), when actually it isn't the case at all (the main dev is working in a complete rework!).
I'm no expert in the subject, i'm just trying to give you my point of view, maybe you would benefit a lot from reading some texts about how to manage an open source project. i've read this a few weeks ago, pretty interesting: http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/OpenScrum/Home it first talk about open source project characteristics and then about using scrum (agile development) to manage an open source project

Good luck :)
kurzedmetal
Spiritual

Postby outcast1000 » 29 Nov 2011, 15:38

No need to announce anything as i consider it a "playground" and not an obligation. There is no time frame at the moment,
The article "http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/OpenScrum/Home" seems interesting. I will take a more detailed look later.

Thanks a lot.
outcast1000
Site Admin

Return to General